- An adjustable-rate home loan which the borrower has the option at specified times of changing into a fixed-rate loan.
able to be changed, swappable, modifiable, changeable
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM) — Acronym,
➥ A type of variable rate mortgage product.
- A type of mortgage loan program in which the interest rate and payments may be adjusted as frequently as every month. The principal loan balance or term of the loan may also be adjusted to reflect the rate change. The purpose of the program is to allow mortgage interest rates to fluctuate with market conditions.
- Conversion Clause — Definition,
- A provision that may appear in an adjustable-rate loan agreement allowing the loan to be changed to a fixed-interest rate loan, usually for an additional charge.
- Convertible ARM — Definition,
- An adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) that can be converted to a fixed-rate mortgage under certain conditions.
- Fixed Rate Mortgage (FRM) — Acronym, Very Important,
- A loan in which the interest rate and payments remain the same for the entire life of the loan. The interest rate and payment amounts are set at the time of loan origination.
- Lock-in — Definition,
- A lender's guarantee that the mortgage rate quoted will not change for a specific period. The borrower wants the lock to stay in effect until closing.
- Mortgage (mtg) — Abbreviation, Important,
- A mortgage is a contract stipulating a specific real property, typically a residence or building, as collateral for a loan. The mortgage incurs a rate of interest that varies according to term and other features.
- Mortgage Application — Definition, Very Important,
- A document in which a prospective borrower details his or her financial situation to qualify for a loan.
- Mortgage Brokerage — Definition, Very Important,
➥ CanEquity is a mortgage brokerage.
- An individual or group who brokers deals between their clients and lenders.
- Mortgage Renewal — Definition, Very Important,
- A renewal as it pertains to the mortgage industry is defined as having an existing mortgage term end and signing a new term to continue.
- Variable Rate Mortgage (VRM) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A type of mortgage loan offered by brokers and lenders.
- Home loan in which the interest rate is changed periodically based on a standard financial index. Also called an "Adjustable-rate Mortgage."