- A claim (as a lien) against a property or more specifically, an interest or right (as an easement or a lease) in real property that may diminish the value of the estate, but does not prevent the conveyance of the estate. Encumbrances can include mortgages, leases, easements, or restrictions.
onus, impediment, burden
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Bundle of Rights — Definition,
- A set of legal rights that an owner has regarding a property.
- Lien — Definition,
- A legal hold or claim of a creditor on the property of another.
- Real Estate (RE) — Acronym, Very Important,
- A section of land including all the natural resources (above and below the surface) and any permanent buildings or structures located on it. Also known as "realty."