Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- bottom line
- profit and loss
Definition of Net Income
- The difference between effective gross income and a person's expenses. The term is qualified as net income before depreciation and debt.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Average Tax Rate — Definition,
- The real rate of taxes you pay after taking into account the various federal tax brackets. There are different tax rates for different levels of income; you pay lower rates on the first part of your income, more on the later earnings. As you pass each income level, the money above that level is taxed at the next higher rate. Therefore, your average tax rate is less than the top rate you pay on a portion of income.
- Earned Income — Definition,
- Money earned through wages, salaries, tips, net earnings (if self-employed), and any other income received for work or personal services. Investment income, such as dividends and interest, is not counted as earned income.
- Active Income — Definition,
- Active income refers to wages, tips, and profits from your business or employment that you partake in. It also includes portfolio income such as interest and dividends, but you cannot usually offset active income with passive losses.
- Audit — Definition,
- An examination of a taxpayer's income tax return or other transactions bearing tax consequences. Audits range from a simple letter from the agency to a detailed review of individual or business tax filings and records.
- Net Income After Taxes (NIAT) — Acronym,
- Constructive Receipt — Definition,
- The idea in which a taxpayer does not actually have to take possession of money for it to be taxable. An example of this is when savings account interest is reinvested rather than sent to the account holder as a separate payment. In this case, the account holder constructively received the interest because the earnings were credited to his account and could have been taken out at the owner's discretion. As such, the earnings are taxable.
- Net Income Attributable (NIA) — Acronym,
- Recognized Gain or Loss — Definition,
- The amount of gain or loss reported for income tax purposes. You may be able to defer recognizing gain or loss on certain property exchanges, such as like-kind exchanges.
- Net Income Before Tax (NIBT) — Acronym,
- Household Income (HHI) — Acronym, Important,
- The total income of all members of a household.
- Gross Income — Definition,
- Normal annual income including overtime that is regular or guaranteed. The income may be from more than one source. Salary is generally the principal source, but other income may qualify if it is significant and stable.
- Deficit — Definition,
- When expenses surpass income or liabilities surpass assets.
- Surplus — Definition,
- When an entity's income exceeds its expenses.
- Investment Income — Definition,
- Income that is earned from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.