Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- preferred rate
- best rate
- prime lending rate
- lowest interest rate
- lowest rate
- Prime Lending Rate
Definition of Prime Rate
- The rate that is suggested by the Bank of Canada on which most banks base their prime mortgage lending rate.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Central Bank — Definition,
- An institution that manages a nation's monetary policy.
- Variable Rate — Definition,
- A floating percentage value that fluctuates based on certain conditions.
- Variable Interest Mortgage — Definition, Important,
- A loan where the interest rate may vary during the term of the mortgage. The variance is usually tied to some specific factor such as prime bank rate or the guaranteed investment certificate rate for a designated lender.
- Bank of Canada (BC, BOC) — Company Est. 1935, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Important,
➥ Canada's central bank.
- Canada's central bank.
- Chartered Banks — Definition,
- Financial institutions regulated under the Bank Act. Chartered banks are designated as Schedule I or Schedule II depending on their ownership.
- Initial Interest Rate — Definition,
- The introductory interest rate on an adjustable-rate mortgage (ARM), which usually changes at a predetermined time.
- Variable Interest Rate — Definition,
- Percentage that a borrower pays for the use of money, and which moves up or down periodically based on changes in other interest rates.
- Posted Rate — Definition,
- The mortgage rates initially offered by a bank which a borrower is then expected to negotiate down.
- Bank — Definition,
- An institution that acts as a financial intermediary by receiving money from depositors and lenders and also lending to borrowers.
- Fixed Rate Mortgage (FRM) — Acronym, Very Important,
- A loan in which the interest rate and payments remain the same for the entire life of the loan. The interest rate and payment amounts are set at the time of loan origination.
- Monetary Policy — Definition,
- The Bank of Canada's ability to influence the economy through changes in short-term interest rates and the money supply.
- Refinance — Definition,
- To arrange a new loan for an increased amount or better terms whereby the old loan is paid off from the proceeds of the new loan.
- Overnight Rate — Definition,
- The interest rate banks use to lend or borrow funds from each other.
- Sub-prime Borrower — Definition,
- A borrower with a less-than-perfect credit report due to late payments or a default on debt payments.
- Hybrid Mortgage — Definition,
- A mortgage split into different components in order to better manage risks and costs.
- Mortgage Renewal — Definition, Very Important,
- A renewal as it pertains to the mortgage industry is defined as having an existing mortgage term end and signing a new term to continue.
- Mortgage Rate — Definition, Very Important,
➥ You can compare mortgage rates using this website by clicking 'Rates' above.
- The interest rate on a mortgage loan.
- Bank Rate — Definition,
- Closely related to the overnight rate, the bank rate is the interest rate the Bank of Canada charges to banks and other major financial institutions for one-day loans.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) — Company Est. 1946, Canada-wide, Very Important,
➥ Insures Canadian mortgage lenders.
- The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: this is a Federally run institution that provides banks and lenders with mortgage insurance. Not to be confused with life or property insurance. In the event of default or foreclosure CMHC assumes responsibility of the property and reimburses the bank/lender the entire mortgage amount. This insurance is required generally when you have less than 25% equity or down payment. This insurance is paid by the property owner in advance but usually added to the mortgage amount. See also "G.E. Capital."
- Variable Rate Mortgage (VRM) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A type of mortgage loan offered by brokers and lenders.
- Home loan in which the interest rate is changed periodically based on a standard financial index. Also called an "Adjustable-rate Mortgage."
- Prime Lending Rate (PLR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ Bank of Canada's prime (best) lending rate.
- The rate of interest charged on loans by chartered banks to their most creditworthy customers.
- Interest (int, IN) — Acronym & Abbreviation,
➥ Bank account transaction code.
- Money paid for the use of borrowed funds, usually expressed as an annual percentage.
- Interest Rate (IR) — Acronym, Very Important,
- The rate a lender charges an individual to borrow money.
- Lender — Definition,
- The bank or mortgage company offering the loan.