Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
Definition of Taxable Income
- Adjusted gross income less itemized or standard deductions, less personal and dependent exemption amounts.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Personal Disposable Income — Definition,
- Personal income minus personal income tax payments. Also called "take-home pay."
- Gross Overtime — Definition,
- Overtime pay before taxes that is averaged over two years can be considered monthly income, but it must be over the two years or it does not count.
- Constructive Receipt — Definition,
- The idea in which a taxpayer does not actually have to take possession of money for it to be taxable. An example of this is when savings account interest is reinvested rather than sent to the account holder as a separate payment. In this case, the account holder constructively received the interest because the earnings were credited to his account and could have been taken out at the owner's discretion. As such, the earnings are taxable.
- Garnishment — Definition,
- An amount withheld from your pay and remitted to another party, such as a creditor. You must include in your taxable income any amount that was garnished from your pay, because the full amount of your pay is considered to have been received by you even though some was withheld to pay your debts.
- Ordinary Income — Definition,
- Income that does not qualify as a capital gain including wages, interest, dividends, and net income from a business.
- Average Tax Rate — Definition,
- The real rate of taxes you pay after taking into account the various federal tax brackets. There are different tax rates for different levels of income; you pay lower rates on the first part of your income, more on the later earnings. As you pass each income level, the money above that level is taxed at the next higher rate. Therefore, your average tax rate is less than the top rate you pay on a portion of income.
- Net Interest Margin (NIM) — Acronym,
- Net interest income (the difference between interest income and interest expense) as a percentage of average total assets.
- Gross Income — Definition,
- Normal annual income including overtime that is regular or guaranteed. The income may be from more than one source. Salary is generally the principal source, but other income may qualify if it is significant and stable.
- Household Income (HHI) — Acronym, Important,
- The total income of all members of a household.
- Audit — Definition,
- An examination of a taxpayer's income tax return or other transactions bearing tax consequences. Audits range from a simple letter from the agency to a detailed review of individual or business tax filings and records.
- Ordinary Dividends — Definition,
- The distribution of a company's profits that are subject to full taxation.
- Investment Income — Definition,
- Income that is earned from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.