American Express Company
Narrow Association: American Express Company
Is a company: yes
Is a proper noun: yes
- platinum card
- American Express
- Amex Card
Definition of American Express Company
- An American financial services corporation best known for its credit cards, charge cards, and traveler's cheques. As of 2008, credit cards issued by the American Express Company, or Amex for short, account for 24% of the dollar value of all credit card transactions in the US.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Standard Card — Definition,
- The basic card offered by issuers. Customers with higher incomes and good credit reports can qualify for the higher-limit gold and platinum cards.
- MasterCard (MC) — Acronym,
- A credit card issued by MasterCard International which is distributed by many financial institutions around the world. Card holders borrow money against a credit line and pay it back with interest if the balance is carried over from month to month.
- Credit Card (CC) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A payment card that gives customers access to a revolving line of credit.
- A plastic card with a coded magnetic stripe that, when signed, entitles its bearer to a revolving line of credit, with a credit limit and interest rate determined by the borrower's income and credit report.
- Rebate Card — Definition,
- This is a credit card that allows the customer to accumulate cash, merchandise or services based on card usage.
- Card Holder Agreement — Definition,
- A written agreement or contract between a credit card holder and the credit issuer that details the terms and conditions of a credit card account. This agreement must include the Annual Percentage Rate, the monthly minimum payment formula, the annual fee if applicable, and the cardholder's rights in billing disputes. Changes to the agreement can be made at any time by the issuer with prior written notice.
- Visa (V) — Acronym,
➥ A brand of credit card.
- A type of credit card that is distributed by financial institutions around the world. A VISA card holder borrows money against a credit line and repays that money with interest if a balance is carried over from month to month.