- A type of credit card where customers accumulate cash, points, merchandise, or services based on card usage. Customers basically receive a small pay back for using the card.
cash back card, rewards card, cash back, cash back credit card
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Air Miles — Company,
- One of the most popular rewards issued by airline-affiliated co-branded cards. Air miles are earned with every use of the card, and then transferred monthly to the cardholder's account with that airline.
- American Express Company (AXP, AMEX) — Company, Important,
- A corporation known for its credit card business.
- Cash Cards — Definition,
- Cash cards, similar to pre-paid phone cards, contain a set amount of value, which can be read by a special cash card reader. Participating retailers will use the reader to debit the card in increments until the value is gone. The cards are like cash -- they have no built-in security, so if lost or stolen, they can be used by anyone.
- Co-branded Card — Definition,
- A type of affinity card issued through a partnership or alliance between a bank and another retail company. For instance, a large department store may co-brand a card with a bank. The card would have two brand names on it -- the bank's name and the store's name. Usually, the attraction of the card is special deals with the retail partner. Many -- particularly the ones affiliated with airlines that offer air miles -- are popular enough to command a hefty annual fee.
- Credit Card (CC) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A payment card that gives customers access to a revolving line of credit.
- A plastic card with a coded magnetic stripe that, when signed, entitles its bearer to a revolving line of credit, with a credit limit and interest rate determined by the borrower's income and credit report.
- Debit Card (DC) — Acronym, Important,
- A payment card that is linked directly to a customer's bank account. Some cards require a personal identification number. Others require a customer's signature. A PIN-based or direct debit card removes a purchase price from a customer's chequing account almost immediately. A signature-based or deferred debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo and removes the purchase price from a customer's bank account in two or three days.
- Interac — Definition,
- Canada's largest shared network of ATMs. It allows cardholders to access their accounts from any ATM on the network regardless of which financial institution owns the machine.
- Interac Direct Payment (IDP) — Acronym,
- A method of paying for goods and services electronically with the funds taken immediately and directly from your bank account and transferred directly into the merchant's account. You use your banking card to do this.
- MasterCard (MC) — Acronym,
- A credit card issued by MasterCard International which is distributed by many financial institutions around the world. Card holders borrow money against a credit line and pay it back with interest if the balance is carried over from month to month.
- Personal Identification Number (PIN) — Acronym, Important,
- A unique, confidential number or pass code, usually consisting of four to six digits, entered by a customer when using an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) or Interac Direct Payment, that gives the customer access to his or her account.
- Rebate — Definition,
- A manufacturer's reduction on the price of a car as an incentive to buyers. Rebates appeal to people with no credit or less-than-perfect credit who cannot qualify for the lowest-rate loan. A rebate may also appeal to first-time buyers who don't have a lot of cash for a down payment or another car to trade in.
- Secured Credit Card — Definition,
- A credit card that a cardholder secures with a savings deposit to ensure payment of the outstanding balance if the cardholder defaults on payments. It is used by people new to credit, or people trying to rebuild their poor credit ratings.
- Smart Card — Definition,
- A card with an embedded computer chip which stores more information, performs more functions and is more secure than a credit card or debit card.
- Visa (V) — Acronym,
➥ A brand of credit card.
- A type of credit card that is distributed by financial institutions around the world. A VISA card holder borrows money against a credit line and repays that money with interest if a balance is carried over from month to month.