Canadian Bankers Association
- A professional industry association that provides information, research, advocacy, education and operational support services primarily to the banking industry.
One of Canada's oldest business associations.
Canada Bankers Association
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Bank — Definition,
- An institution that acts as a financial intermediary by receiving money from depositors and lenders and also lending to borrowers.
- Chartered Banks — Definition,
- Financial institutions regulated under the Bank Act. Chartered banks are designated as Schedule I or Schedule II depending on their ownership.
- Institute of Canadian Bankers — Company,
- An institute that provides education and training programs specific to professionals in the financial-service industry
- International Banking — Definition,
- The operation of bank branches and subsidiaries located outside Canada. This area of banking also includes the supervision of correspondent banking relationships, foreign exchange trading, and trade finance.
- Investment Banking (IBK) — Acronym,
- Bank operations that manage a bank's funding position, as well as its holdings of Treasury bills, bonds and preferred and common stock.
- Retail Banking — Definition,
- Banking services offered to individual customers such as savings accounts, personal loans, cheque cashing, and RRSPs.
- Schedule I Banks — Definition,
- A designation in the Bank Act that refers to Canadian-owned banks that are widely held, i.e., ones in which no one owner holds more than 10% of shares.
- Schedule II Banks — Definition,
- A designation in the Bank Act that refers to foreign-owned banks and closely held Canadian banks, i.e., banks in which an owner may hold more than 10% of outstanding stock.
- Schedule III Banks — Definition,
- Foreign banks not incorporated under the bank act that are allowed to conduct business in Canada.