- Community bank: A bank, often with branches, that is locally owned and operated, and is not part of a bank holding company. Also referred to as an independent bank.
locally owned, independent
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Bank — Definition,
- An institution that acts as a financial intermediary by receiving money from depositors and lenders and also lending to borrowers.
- Independent Bank — Definition,
- A locally owned bank that is operated without being affiliated with a bank holding company. Also known as a community bank.
- Niche Banks — Definition,
- Smaller banks that cater to particular communities or certain industries. These banks have been thriving in the fallout from mega-bank mergers.