- In the event that an insured patient requires medical treatment for multiple different illnesses and/or injuries at the same time, benefits are paid together as if all ailments came from the same source.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Group Health Insurance Plan — Definition,
- Health insurance that covers a large group of people, often as part as a employee benefit package.
- Health Insurance (HI) — Acronym,
- Insurance that covers the costs of medical expenses for insured persons.
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) — Acronym, Important,
- A healthcare plan where insured people receive reasonably priced health insurance through an organization with firm guidelines on the scope of care.
- Least Expensive Alternative Treatment (LEAT) — Acronym,
- When multiple treatment options exist for the same illness, insurers are only obligated to provide the most cost effective treatment.
- Point of Service Plan — Definition,
- A health insurance plan that combines the features of both health maintenance organizations and preferred provider organizations.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) — Acronym,
- A health care program that gives its members a level of freedom and independence when choosing health care options.
- Successive Periods — Definition,
- When multiple hospital stays are considered as one when the stays are a result of, or are related to, a single medical condition.