- A term used by insurance companies whereby multiple hospital confinements within a set period are considered one period of confinement when the hospital stays are due to, or related to, one medical condition.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Concurrent Periods — Definition,
- When a patient requires treatment for more than one ailment at a time, all insurance benefits are paid together.
- Consolidate — Definition,
- To merge multiple things into one single thing.
- Health Insurance (HI) — Acronym,
- Insurance that covers the costs of medical expenses for insured persons.
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) — Acronym, Important,
- A healthcare plan where insured people receive reasonably priced health insurance through an organization with firm guidelines on the scope of care.
- Point of Service Plan — Definition,
- A health insurance plan that combines the features of both health maintenance organizations and preferred provider organizations.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) — Acronym,
- A health care program that gives its members a level of freedom and independence when choosing health care options.
- Universal Healthcare — Definition,
- A system for providing healthcare free to patients at point of use.