Credit Reporting Agency
Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: yes
Definition of Credit Reporting Agency
- An agency that prepares credit history reports. These reports are used by lenders to determine a potential borrower's financial worthiness. The agency obtains data for these reports from a credit repository as well as from other sources.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Credit Report (CR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A report that outlines the credit worthiness of an individual or entity.
- A report on a loan applicant's willingness and ability to make payments in a timely manner in the past. This report is provided to the bank by an outside agency.
- Bad Credit — Definition,
- Someone who carries a higher credit risk.
- Merged Credit Report — Definition,
- A summary of one's credit history from the big two credit bureaus: Equifax and Trans Union.
- Credit Rating (CR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A metric to measure the credit worthiness of a debtor.
- A judgement of a person's ability to repay debts. The rating is often based on a person's current and projected income and past debt payment history. Also called a credit score.
- Experian (XP) — Company, Canada,
- One of the Big Three credit bureaus, along with Equifax and Trans Union, Experian not normally used in Canada.
- Credit History — Definition,
- A record of an individual's or company's past borrowing patterns and whether or not debts were repaid on time.
- Credit Bureau (CB) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ Company that determines one's credit worthiness.
- A company that collects and sells information about how people handle credit. It issues credit reports that list how individuals manage their debts and make payments, how much untapped credit they have available and whether they have applied for any loans. The reports are made available to individuals and to creditors who profess to have a legitimate need for the information.
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) — Acronym, Canada, Very Important,
➥ A nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. Banks may also request your SIN for tax purposes or to verify credit checks.
- Every person who has an income or pays taxes must apply for this number, which is assigned by the Government of Canada. You must, by law, provide this number to financial institutions with which you have an interest-bearing deposit account.
- Credit Repository — Definition,
- Another term for a credit bureau.
- Good Credit — Definition,
- Someone who carries little credit risk.
- Equifax (EF) — Company Est. 1899, Canada, Important,
- A major credit bureau company in Canada along with Trans Union.