Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- risk taker
Definition of Debtor
- Technically, a person who has filed a petition for relief under the bankruptcy laws. More generally, anyone who owes.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Collection — Bank,
- The efforts used to bring an overdue mortgage, or other debt current, and the filing of necessary notices to proceed with foreclosure when necessary.
- Mortgagor — Definition,
- The borrower in a mortgage transaction.
- Garnishment — Bank,
- An amount withheld from your pay and remitted to another party, such as a creditor. You must include in your taxable income any amount that was garnished from your pay, because the full amount of your pay is considered to have been received by you even though some was withheld to pay your debts.
- Creditor — Bank,
- One who is owed money.
- Abandonment — Definition,
- A disclaimer of ownership by the trustee or debtor in property deemed burdensome or inconsequential. Once property has been "abandoned" it is no longer the property of the estate and creditors can seek to recover their money.
- Business Bankruptcy — Bank,
- A bankruptcy case in which the debtor is a business or an individual involved in business and the debts are for business purposes.
- Bankruptcy (BK) — Bank, Important,
- A court action under the Federal Bankruptcy Code by which a debtor's debts may be discharged, usually by transferring assets to a trustee, or rescheduled.
- Spread — Bank,
- The difference between the interest rate charged to borrowers and the interest rate paid to depositors.