Land Titles System
- A system used for the registration of land. Under this system, the registrar or master of titles passes on the validity of the instrument and determines its legal effect with the Government's guarantee of the title.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Land Title — Definition,
- The legal document conveying title to a property.
- Title — Definition,
- Evidence of a person's right to possession ownership of a property.
- Title Report — Definition,
- A report that reveals any competing claims, liens, or other problems relating to a property. A title report is required before title insurance will be issued. Also known as a "Preliminary Title Report" or "Prelim."
- Torrens System — Definition,
- A system that is provided by Provincial law for the registration of land titles. The system records the state of the title, including ownership and encumbrances without the necessity of an additional search of the public records. Also known as the "Land Titles System."