- The use of credit or borrowed funds in conjunction with a sum of money to increase the rate of return from an investment, such as buying securities on margin.
money, clout, bargaining power, influence
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Capital — Definition,
- Money that is used to make money; for example, to buy rental property or a business.
- Collateral — Definition,
- Any property pledged as security for repayment of a debt.
- Down Payment — Definition,
- The portion of the purchase price a buyer pays, in cash, at the time the loan originates.
- Leveraged Property — Definition,
- A property financed with mortgage debt.
- Liabilities — Definition,
- A borrower's debts and legal obligations.
- Long-term Liabilities — Definition,
- Money owed over a period longer than 12 months, such as mortgages, bank loans, and other obligations.
- Short-term Liabilities — Definition,
- Money that you have to pay in less than 12 months, including wages, short-term loans, taxes, credit card balances and long-term loans.