Principal and Interest
Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- principal and interest
Definition of Principal and Interest
- An acronym for principal and interest which are components of a monthly mortgage payment.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Balloon Mortgage — Definition,
- A loan that has regular monthly payments which amortize over a stated term but call for a final lump sum (balloon payment) at the end of a specified term, or maturity date, such as 10 years.
- Annual Percentage Yield (APY) — Acronym,
- The percentage, required by Truth in Savings regulations, to be disclosed on interest-bearing deposit accounts that reflects the total interest to be earned based on an institution's compounding method, assuming funds remain in the account for a 365-day year.
- Remaining Balance — Definition,
- Unpaid principal on a loan.
- Interest Only Payments — Definition,
- A payment plan where only the interest is paid off.
- Original Principal Balance — Definition,
- The amount borrowed.
- Interest (IN, int) — Acronym & Abbreviation,
➥ Bank account transaction code.
- Money paid for the use of borrowed funds, usually expressed as an annual percentage.
- Additional Principal Payment — Definition,
- Extra money included with a loan payment to pay off the amount owed faster. Over time, this practice reduces the amount of interest paid.
- Annual Percentage Rate (APR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A number used to compare costs associated with mortgage loans and other forms of financing.
- A yearly rate of interest that includes fees and costs paid to acquire the loan. Lenders are required by law to disclose the APR. The rate is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan, so borrowers can compare loans. In mortgages, it is the interest rate of a mortgage when taking into account the interest, mortgage insurance, and certain closing costs including points paid at closing. There is no APR in an automobile lease; instead, the cost of money is expressed as the money factor.
- Loan — Definition,
- Letting another party use something of value temporarily.
- Step-rate Mortgage — Definition, Important,
- A fixed-rate home loan on which payments are lower at the beginning, typically for two years, and which then rise.
- Principal — Definition,
- The original balance of money lent on an outstanding loan and fees, excluding interest. Also the remaining balance of a loan, excluding interest.
- Principal, Interest, Taxes, Heat (PITH) — Acronym,
- Gross Debt Service (GDS) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ Used by mortgage lender underwriters to determine one's ability to qualify for a mortgage loan.
- The total monthly mortgage (or rent) payments, property taxes, utilities and maintenance fees as a percentage of gross monthly income.
- Principal, Interest and Taxes (PIT) — Acronym, Important,
- Principal, interest and taxes. The components of a monthly mortgage payment.
- Mortgage (mtg) — Abbreviation, Important,
- A mortgage is a contract stipulating a specific real property, typically a residence or building, as collateral for a loan. The mortgage incurs a rate of interest that varies according to term and other features.
- Principal, Interest, Taxes, and Insurance (PITI) — Acronym,
- Acronym for the elements of a mortgage payment: principal, interest, taxes and insurance.
- Principal, Interest, Taxes, Condo fees, Heat (PITCH) — Acronym,