- Any increase in value, profit, or income that is earned from some sort of purchased item, venture or investment. Technically you could get a "good return" on hockey cards or antiques, but the term is most commonly used when referring to investments.
- Yielding or making a profit.
gain, loss, profit
return on equity, return on assets, return on investments
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Fixed-Return Investments — Definition,
- Investments that provide a stable return.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) — Acronym, Important,
- An investment that pays a set rate of interest over a fixed period of time.
- Indexed Annuity — Definition,
- An annuity where investment performance is pegged to a stock index.
- Inflation-Protected Annuity — Definition,
- An annuity that guarantees a return equal to or above inflation.
- Internal Rate of Return (IRR) — Acronym, Important,
- That rate at which the present worth of all present and future investment costs equals the present worth of all present and future investment benefits.
- Investment — Definition,
- Something you put your money into in order to make money.
- Investment Banking (IBK) — Acronym,
- Bank operations that manage a bank's funding position, as well as its holdings of Treasury bills, bonds and preferred and common stock.
- Investment Income — Definition,
- Income that is earned from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.
- Mutual Fund — Definition,
- A type of investment scheme that pools funds from multiple backers and invests them in securities such as stock or bonds.
- Ratio — Definition,
- Comparison of two figures used to evaluate business performance, such as debt/equity ratio and return on investment.
- Return on Assets (ROA) — Acronym,
- A ratio that shows how profitable a company is when compared to its assets.
- Yield-to-Maturity (YTM) — Acronym,
- The internal rate of return on an investment. Typically takes into account all investment returns and their timing.