- The excess of your withholding and estimated tax payments for the year that you paid over your tax liability. The Federal Government then issues a tax refund if you paid more taxes over the year for your tax bracket.
Revenue Canada refund, federal tax refund, federal tax reimbursement, federal cheque
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Filing Extension — Definition,
- An additional amount of time to file your return. A filing extension, however, does not give you more time to pay your taxes.
- Non-refundable Credit — Definition,
- Tax credits reduce your tax liability dollar-for-dollar. Non-refundable credits can get your tax bill down to zero.
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) — Acronym, Canada, Important,
➥ Canada Revenue Agency's T451 tax form.
- A form the federal government issues when personal taxes are complete. A notice of assessment shows a breakdown of the given years income along with the balance owing or refund.
- Refund — Definition,
- To give back, return, or repay.
- Short Tax Year — Definition,
- A tax period less than 12 months long, resulting from a business start-up or the transition to a tax year ending on a different date.
- Underpayment Penalty — Definition,
- A penalty for not paying enough total estimated tax and withholding. You can avoid underpayment penalties by paying a percentage amount of last year's tax due or of the current year's expected tax due. You may pay the taxes in combined estimated and withholding tax payments.