Notice of Assessment
- A form issued by the Federal Government when personal taxes are complete. A notice of assessment shows a breakdown of the given years income along with the balance owing or the refund amount.
Canada Revenue Agency's T451 tax form.
tax summary, taxable value, tax statement, taxes owed
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Assessments — Definition,
- Special and local taxes imposed upon property which benefits from an improvement that has been made in the vicinity.
- Audit — Definition,
- An examination of a taxpayer's income tax return or other transactions bearing tax consequences. Audits range from a simple letter from the agency to a detailed review of individual or business tax filings and records.
- Deductions — Definition,
- Expenses the government allows you to subtract from your taxable income. If you have taxable income of $31,000 and deductions of $4,000, then you would figure how much tax you owe on the difference -- $27,000.
- Document Needs List — Definition,
- An inventory of papers a lender needs to underwrite a loan, usually including pay-cheque stubs, bank statements and tax returns.
- Electronic Filing (EF, NETFILE) — Acronym, Very Important,
- Taxpayers can now file their tax information with personal computers and tax preparation software. The information goes directly to Revenue Canada and they can directly deposit refunds into the taxpayer's bank account.
- Income Tax — Definition,
- The main source of revenue for the federal government and many Provinces. The tax is based on your earned and unearned income. The amount or percentage taxed is based on the amount of income, using the governments graduated tax scale.
- Refund — Definition,
- To give back, return, or repay.
- Tax Deduction — Definition,
- An expense that governments allow you to subtract from your income before computing your income tax.
- Tax Liability — Definition,
- The total amount of tax you owe.
- Tax Refund — Definition,
- To receive money back from the government.