- Apply for a Mortgage
- Contact Us
- Mortgage News
- Library & Statistics
- Rates & Tools
- Mortgage Services
Search the Glossary
Canadian Financial, Real Estate and Mortgage Glossary
How often this word is used
62% - Often
62% - Often
|Synonyms:||default, exhaustion, loss, nonpayment, overdrawn|
Definition of bankruptcy (BK)
- bankruptcy (BK)
- 1. The financial status of an individual or firm that has been legally judged either to have debts that exceed assets or to be unable to pay bills. The individual or firm can declare bankruptcy voluntarily or be pressed by creditors to do so. The debtor's remaining property and assets are then administered for the creditors or distributed among them.
Related Terms and Acronyms:
- liquidation To convert into cash.
- non-dischargeable debt Debt that cannot be eliminated in bankruptcy such as Federal taxes.
- probate sale Sale of property after the death of the owner, supervised by a court, with proceeds divided among creditors and heirs.
- receivership A form of bankruptcy where a person is appointed to take control of a company and is responsible for recouping unpaid debts.
- refinance To arrange a new loan for an increased amount or better terms whereby the old loan is paid off from the proceeds of the new loan.
- repayment plan Modification of an existing loan after the borrower has been delinquent. Often used when the borrower misses payments but the lender does not foreclose.
- repossession The taking back of property after a borrower has stopped making payments.
- secured credit card A credit card that a cardholder secures with a savings deposit to ensure payment of the outstanding balance if the cardholder defaults on payments. It is used by people new to credit, or people trying to rebuild their poor credit ratings.
- solvency To be able to meet one's financial liabilities in the short or long term.
- tax sale A government sale of property to recover unpaid taxes.
More Related Terms and Acronyms
- asset case — Definition
- bankruptcy trustee — Definition
- business bankruptcy — Definition
- cash collateral — Definition
- collection — Definition
- consumer bankruptcy — Definition
- debtor — Definition
- fiduciary — Definition
- fiduciary duty — Definition
- forbearance — Definition
- foreclosure — Definition
- forfeiture — Definition
- fresh start — Definition
- impaired insurer — Definition
Search the Glossary
Mortgage RatesGetting a low mortgage rate can mean the difference between you buying your dream home and... just a house. Look no further, apply today and get a great rate on your mortgage.
Brokers Compare Mortgage RatesThink the mortgage rate that your bank offered you looks a little high? You're probably right. Unlike a with a mortgage broker, your bank won't shop around for the best rate on the market. Click or tap on the mortgage rate comparison link below and check out the difference for yourself.
Our Mortgage Loan CalculatorYou will have quite a few decisions to make about your home purchase, but you can simplify the process by using our mortgage calculator. Try different rates, terms, and amortizations and see what modifying your mortgage payment schedule from monthly to biweekly or weekly payments will do to affect what your mortgage will finally cost you.