Definition of Appreciation
- Appreciation refers to the increase in the value of a property or item over time.
- increase in value
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Adjusted Cost Basis — Definition,
- The amount paid for an item, plus the amount paid for improvements, minus losses and depreciation. When the owner sells the item, the difference between the sales price and the adjusted cost basis is the profit or loss.
- Current Market Value (CMV) — Acronym,
- The estimated price determined by the recent sale of similar properties.
- Real Property — Definition,
- Permanent, non-movable property, such as land and buildings.
- Investment — Definition,
- Something you put your money into in order to make money.
- Book Value — Definition,
- A valuation method determined by taking the original cost of an asset and subtracting any depreciation, impairment or amortization costs.
- The value of a property, item or company as a capital asset based on its cost plus any additions, subtracting depreciation.
- Estate — Definition,
- The total sum of all the real property and personal property owned by an individual at time of death.
- The ownership interest of an individual in real property.