- Permanent, non-movable property, such as land and buildings. See also "Real Estate."
real estate, immovable property, realty, property
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Agreed Boundary — Definition,
- Property lines that are drawn to settle a dispute between neighbouring property owners.
- Appreciation — Definition,
- An increase in the value of a property or item.
- Buffer Strip — Definition,
- This refers to a parcel or stretch of land that separates two pieces of property.
- Building and Loan Association — Definition,
- A financial institution designed to help members finance real-estate transactions.
- Chattel — Definition,
- Personal property that can be moved.
- Chattel Mortgage — Definition, Important,
- A loan backed by movable personal property. Generally mobile or trailer homes.
- Estate — Definition,
- The ownership interest of an individual in real property.
- The total sum of all the real property and personal property owned by an individual at time of death.
- Fixed Assets (FA) — Acronym, Important,
- Assets like machinery, land, buildings, or property used in operating a business that will not be consumed or converted into cash during the current accounting period.
- Fixture — Definition,
- Personal property that becomes real property when it is attached to a building. Examples include chandeliers, built-in bookcases and cabinets and drapery rods.
- Land — Definition,
- The solid ground of the earth. This can include everything under it and over it. For example, Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
- Metes and Bounds — Definition,
- A surveyor's legal description of a parcel of land, defined by measurements and angles.
- Non-recourse Debt — Definition,
- A loan secured by collateral where the borrower is not personally liable.
- Property Report — Definition,
- A legal disclosure that developers of timeshare properties are required to give to prospective buyers.
- A legal document prepared by a surveyor that shows the locations of all visible public and private improvements relative to property boundaries.
- Real Estate (RE) — Acronym, Very Important,
- A section of land including all the natural resources (above and below the surface) and any permanent buildings or structures located on it. Also known as "realty."
- Unaffiliated Investments — Definition,
- Investments in assets made by an insurance company where they have no control over the assets.