Metes and Bounds
Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
Definition of Metes and Bounds
- The legal description of a piece of land as defined by a surveyor who uses measurements and angles.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Square Footage — Definition,
- The area within a building, calculated by measuring the rooms by length and width.
- Boundary — Definition,
- The line dividing adjacent properties.
- Legal Mortgage — Definition, Important,
- The written geographical description of a property as described in the land register.
- Agreed Boundary — Definition,
- Property lines that are drawn to settle a dispute between neighbouring property owners.
- Plat — Definition,
- A map that shows a parcel of land and how it is subdivided into individual lots. Plat maps also show the locations of streets and easements.
- Real Property — Definition,
- Permanent, non-movable property, such as land and buildings.
- Property Report — Definition,
- A legal document prepared by a surveyor that shows the locations of all visible public and private improvements relative to property boundaries.
- A legal disclosure that developers of timeshare properties are required to give to prospective buyers.
- Legal Description (lgdc) — Abbreviation,
- A way of identifying a piece of property in writing that is acceptable to a court.
- Buffer Strip — Definition,
- This refers to a parcel or stretch of land that separates two pieces of property.
- Acre — Definition,
- 43,560 square feet. A plot of land 180 by 242 feet is one acre.
- Land Title — Definition,
- The legal document conveying title to a property.
- Land — Definition,
- The solid ground of the earth. This can include everything under it and over it. For example, Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
- Abstract of Title (ab) — Abbreviation,
➥ AB is a common abbreviation for Abstract of Title when used in property listings and real estate classifieds.
- A written history of all the transactions that bear on the title to a specific piece of land. An abstract of title covers the time from when the property was first sold to the present.
- Survey (srvy) — Abbreviation,
➥ As in surveyed land.
- A map executed by a licensed surveyor, which sets down precisely the boundaries of a given property as well as improvements, references to known landmarks, and the property's notable features.