Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- piece of land
- unit of area
Definition of Acre
- A plot of land 180 by 242 feet is equal to one acre or 43,560 square feet (4,046.856422 square metres). An acre is equivalent to these other notable units of measurement: 1/640 square mile, 4840 square yards, 160 perches, 10 square chains or just over 2 and a half Canadian hockey rinks.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Survey (srvy) — Abbreviation,
➥ As in surveyed land.
- A map executed by a licensed surveyor, which sets down precisely the boundaries of a given property as well as improvements, references to known landmarks, and the property's notable features.
- Arpent — Definition,
- An area equal to about 0.845 acres, traditionally used in France, Quebec and Louisiana. Nowadays, hectares and acres are more commonly used measurements of area.
- Property Report — Definition,
- A legal document prepared by a surveyor that shows the locations of all visible public and private improvements relative to property boundaries.
- A legal disclosure that developers of timeshare properties are required to give to prospective buyers.
- Land Lot — Definition,
- A piece of land owned by an individual or entity.
- Metes and Bounds — Definition,
- A surveyor's legal description of a parcel of land, defined by measurements and angles.
- Plat — Definition,
- A map that shows a parcel of land and how it is subdivided into individual lots. Plat maps also show the locations of streets and easements.
- Subdivide — Definition,
- To split something (like a plot of land) into smaller sections.
- Land — Definition,
- The solid ground of the earth. This can include everything under it and over it. For example, Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
- Hectare — Definition,
- An area equal to 100 meters by 100 meters
- Acre Foot (AF) — Acronym,
- The water or other material needed to cover an acre of land one foot deep. Equivalent to exactly 43,560 cubic feet.