- To further divide something that has already been divided. As it relates to real estate, to subdivide property is to split a tract into two or more lots.
split, housing subdivision, housing development
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Acre — Definition,
- 43,560 square feet. A plot of land 180 by 242 feet is one acre.
- Boundary — Definition,
- The line dividing adjacent properties.
- Contiguous Lots — Definition,
- Pieces of real estate that are next to each other.
- Investment Property — Definition,
- Property bought with the hope of it making money.
- Land — Definition,
- The solid ground of the earth. This can include everything under it and over it. For example, Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
- Land Lot — Definition,
- A piece of land owned by an individual or entity.
- Plat — Definition,
- A map that shows a parcel of land and how it is subdivided into individual lots. Plat maps also show the locations of streets and easements.
- Zoning — Definition,
- Areas within a city limits in which certain types of land uses are allowed. For example, a zoning ordinance might permit houses but not factories in a neighbourhood.