Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
Definition of Land
- Includes only the ground or soil, but everything which is attached to the earth, whether by course of nature as trees and herbage, or by the hand of man, as houses and other buildings. It includes not only the surface of the earth but everything under it and over it. Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Ground Rent — Definition,
- Amount a leaseholder pays periodically for use of land only.
- Square Footage — Definition,
- The area within a building, calculated by measuring the rooms by length and width.
- Subdivide — Definition,
- To split something (like a plot of land) into smaller sections.
- Real Estate (RE) — Bank, Very Important,
- A section of land including all the natural resources (above and below the surface) and any permanent buildings or structures located on it. Also known as "realty."
- Real Property — Definition,
- Permanent, non-movable property, such as land and buildings.
- Land Title — Definition,
- The legal document conveying title to a property.
- Deed (D) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ Used to transfer ownership of assets, often land or automobiles.
- A document that provides title to property and is filed with a country recorder.
- Real Estate Attorney — Definition,
- A lawyer who specializes in the transfer of land and buildings and property tax issues.
- Acre — Definition,
- 43,560 square feet. A plot of land 180 by 242 feet is one acre.
- Hectare — Definition,
- An area equal to 100 meters by 100 meters
- Torrens System — Definition,
- A system that is provided by Provincial law for the registration of land titles. The system records the state of the title, including ownership and encumbrances without the necessity of an additional search of the public records. Also known as the "Land Titles System."
- Land Lot — Definition,
- A piece of land owned by an individual or entity.
- Metes and Bounds — Definition,
- A surveyor's legal description of a parcel of land, defined by measurements and angles.