- The area within a building or structure that is calculated by measuring each rooms by length and width and adding the total.
square foot, sq ft
lot size, measurement
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Acre Foot (AF) — Acronym,
- The water or other material needed to cover an acre of land one foot deep. Equivalent to exactly 43,560 cubic feet.
- Architect — Definition,
- One who designs buildings.
- Arpent — Definition,
- An area equal to about 0.845 acres, traditionally used in France, Quebec and Louisiana. Nowadays, hectares and acres are more commonly used measurements of area.
- Blueprint (bprt) — Abbreviation,
- The drawing of a structure by an architect or designer, used for construction and getting permits.
- Board Foot — Definition,
- A measurement of lumber equivalent to 1 inch thick, 1 foot long, 1 foot wide.
- Dimension Plans — Definition,
- Diagrams that show location of building outlines and other improvements on a lot, but which are not as detailed as blueprints.
- Gross Living Area (GLA) — Acronym, Important,
➥ Above ground total floor area of a home excluding porches and balconies.
- The gross above ground, finished living area in a property.
- Hectare — Definition,
- An area equal to 100 meters by 100 meters
- Land — Definition,
- The solid ground of the earth. This can include everything under it and over it. For example, Condominium Acts do divide land horizontally thereby limiting the vertical ownership.
- Metes and Bounds — Definition,
- A surveyor's legal description of a parcel of land, defined by measurements and angles.
- Plat — Definition,
- A map that shows a parcel of land and how it is subdivided into individual lots. Plat maps also show the locations of streets and easements.
- Property Report — Definition,
- A legal document prepared by a surveyor that shows the locations of all visible public and private improvements relative to property boundaries.
- A legal disclosure that developers of timeshare properties are required to give to prospective buyers.
- Real Estate (RE) — Acronym, Very Important,
- A section of land including all the natural resources (above and below the surface) and any permanent buildings or structures located on it. Also known as "realty."
- Schematic Designs — Definition,
- Structural plans for a building's mechanical systems, such as its plumbing and electrical functions.
- Survey (srvy) — Abbreviation,
➥ As in surveyed land.
- A map executed by a licensed surveyor, which sets down precisely the boundaries of a given property as well as improvements, references to known landmarks, and the property's notable features.