- A legal document giving a warning, important notice or expressed caution; to beware.
- A charge or instrument placed on land title. A caveat is also a formal notice filed with a court or officer to suspend a proceeding until the person who filed the caveat is given a hearing.
caution, admonition, beware, condition
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Contract — Definition,
- An agreement between two or more parties that can be enforced by law.
- Contractual Lien — Definition,
- A legal claim against property as a result of a voluntary contract, such as a mortgage.
- Liabilities — Definition,
- A borrower's debts and legal obligations.
- Lis Pendens — Definition,
- A legal document giving notice that an action or proceeding is pending in the courts which affects the title to the designated property.
- Title Search — Definition,
- A check of public records to make sure that the owner of real property has the right to transfer ownership. A title search is designed to spot gaps in the chain of title, liens, problems with the legal description of the property, judgements against the owner, and the like.
- Waiver — Definition,
- The intentional and voluntary renunciation, abandonment, or surrender of some claim, right, or privilege.