- A metric used by insurance companies to assess risk and deduce the likelihood that a claim will need to be paid out. Insurance companies consider insurance scores, amongst other factors, when making underwriting decisions and determining insurance premiums. Insurance scores are proprietary and the methodology used in their calculation is considered a trade secret.
underwriting score, insurance credit score, insurance risk score, underwriting risk score
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Account Current (AC) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A monthly or yearly ledger style report provided by an insurer to an insurance agent detailing policies, premiums, commissions, cancellations, and endorsements.
- A ledger summarizing the performance of each agent employed by an insurance company.
- Actuarial Table — Definition,
- A table used in actuarial science that outlines the statistical probability that an individual of a specific age and sex will die within a year.
- Actuary — Definition,
- An individual who assesses the mechanisms, mathematics and complexities of risk and uncertainty.
- Insurance (insur) — Abbreviation,
- An arrangement where one party provides financial protection to another party for specific damages or losses.
- Insurance Policy — Definition,
- A legal contract between an insurer and entity that specifies what the insurer is required to cover and any benefits the insured entity is entitled to.
- Mortality Rate — Definition,
- A measurement of how many people in a particular population set and in a particular period of time die.
- Private-Passenger Auto Insurance Policyholder Risk Profile — Definition,
- A system for sorting drivers by their driving records and how likely they are to cause a loss for an insurance company.
- Risk Class — Definition,
- A number of people who are grouped together because they pose similar levels of risk to an insurance company.
- Survival Analysis — Definition,
- A statistical analysis of how likely someone or something will survive to a set date.
- Ultimate Mortality Table — Definition,
- A mortality table that does not include information from people who have been approved for life insurance recently.
- Underwriting Risk — Definition,
- The total amount of risk an entity takes on from underwriting something.
- Yearly Probability of Dying — Definition,
- The likelihood that an individual of a certain age and gender will die within a year.
- Yearly Probability of Living — Definition,
- The likelihood that an individual of a certain age and gender will still be alive after a year has passed.