Mortgage Life Insurance
- An insurance policy that pays off the policyholder's mortgage in the event of the insured's death or disability. The three major choices for Canadians are term life, declining life and creditor insurance.
mortgage coverage, loan payment insurance, mortgage insurance
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) — Company Est. 1946, Canada-wide, Very Important,
➥ Insures Canadian mortgage lenders.
- The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: this is a Federally run institution that provides banks and lenders with mortgage insurance. Not to be confused with life or property insurance. In the event of default or foreclosure CMHC assumes responsibility of the property and reimburses the bank/lender the entire mortgage amount. This insurance is required generally when you have less than 25% equity or down payment. This insurance is paid by the property owner in advance but usually added to the mortgage amount. See also "G.E. Capital."
- Credit Life Insurance — Definition,
- Life insurance that repays the insured's debts upon their death. The death benefit decreases as the debt is paid off.
- Creditor Insurance — Definition,
- Insurance that repays debt if the borrower cannot.
- Declining Life Insurance — Definition,
- Life insurance with a decreasing death benefit, often used to insure mortgage debt.
- Finance Charge — Definition,
- Charges that include all of the interest expected to be earned over the life of a loan, in addition to the service charges, mortgage insurance premiums, and other loan-related charges.
- Homeowners Insurance — Definition,
- A policy that includes hazard coverage, covering loss or damage to property and/or assets located within, as well as coverage for personal liability and theft.
- Insurance (insur) — Abbreviation,
- An arrangement where one party provides financial protection to another party for specific damages or losses.
- Life Insurance — Definition, Very Important,
➥ CanEquity offers life insurance.
- An arrangement where an insurer agrees to pay a benefit to one or more beneficiaries in the event of the policyholder's death.
- Low-down Mortgages — Definition, Important,
- Mortgages with a low down payment, usually less than 10 percent.
- Low-down-payment Loan — Definition,
- A mortgage where the borrower puts down a small amount and borrows a high percentage of the purchase price.
- Mortgage (mtg) — Abbreviation, Important,
- A mortgage is a contract stipulating a specific real property, typically a residence or building, as collateral for a loan. The mortgage incurs a rate of interest that varies according to term and other features.
- Mortgage Disability Insurance — Definition, Important,
- Insurance that covers mortgage payments if a policyholder becomes disabled.
- Mortgage Insurance — Definition, Very Important,
➥ CanEquity offers mortgage insurance.
- Insurance that protects a lender if a homeowner fails to pay off his or her mortgage.
- A policy covering a mortgagor from which the benefits are intended (a) to pay off the balance due on a mortgage upon the death of the insured, or (b) to meet the payments on a mortgage as they fall due in the case of his death or disability.
- Needs Approach — Definition,
- A way of determining how much life insurance an individual should purchase by examining the future obligations and needs of the beneficiaries.
- Single Interest Insurance — Definition,
- Insurance that covers a single party when more than one party has a stake in a property.