Stock Insurance Company
- An incorporated insurance company where individual stockholders own shares of the corporation and receive earnings in the form of dividends.
publicly traded insurance company
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Credit Union (CU) — Acronym,
➥ Credit unions are member-owned, full service co-operative financial institutions.
- A non-profit, cooperative financial institution owned and controlled by the people who use its services, usually a group such as employees in the same company or industry. Credit unions historically have been able to offer lower rates and fees and still operate in the black. Credit unions rely on a financial reserve to absorb unexpected losses from loan defaults or other financial setbacks, and the majority of credit unions carry federal deposit insurance that protects individual accounts up to a specified amount in the event the credit union fails.
- Dividend — Definition,
- Distribution of earnings to shareholders. In credit unions, it's the money paid to members for deposits, similar to the interest banks pay to their customers for deposits.
- Equity — Definition,
- Ownership in an asset.
- The value of a property minus outstanding mortgage debt and other liens.
- Insurance (insur) — Abbreviation,
- An arrangement where one party provides financial protection to another party for specific damages or losses.
- Loss — Definition,
- When expenses are larger than revenues.
- Mutual Fund — Definition,
- A type of investment scheme that pools funds from multiple backers and invests them in securities such as stock or bonds.
- Mutual Insurance Company — Definition,
- An insurance company where the each policyholder is a part owner of the company.
- Profit — Definition,
- When revenues exceed expenses.
- Segregated Fund — Definition,
- Investment vehicles that feature both maturity and death guarantees. Segregated funds share similarities with mutual funds but are categorized as insurance products.
- Stock — Definition,
- A share of the ownership of a company.
- With-Profits Policy — Definition,
- Insurance that pays the policyholder a portion of the insurer's profits.