- This type of income can include funds that are gained from interest, dividends, investments, or capital gains as opposed to income that is earned by working for a salary, hourly wage, or gratuity.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Earned Income — Definition,
- Money earned through wages, salaries, tips, net earnings (if self-employed), and any other income received for work or personal services. Investment income, such as dividends and interest, is not counted as earned income.
- Income Property — Definition,
- Real estate developed or improved to produce income. Also referred to as "non-owner occupied property" or "rental property."
- Investment Income — Definition,
- Income that is earned from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.
- Mixed-income Housing — Definition,
- A neighbourhood whose residents earn widely varying wages and salaries.
- Ordinary Income — Definition,
- Income that does not qualify as a capital gain including wages, interest, dividends, and net income from a business.
- Personal Disposable Income — Definition,
- Personal income minus personal income tax payments. Also called "take-home pay."
- Royalty Income — Definition,
- Payment for the use and exploitation of certain kinds of property, such as artistic or literary works, patents and mineral rights.