- The practice of changing the zoning in an area typically from residential to increased commercial use. This is a controversial practice because upzoning allows for greater density and congestion in the area which affects the current occupants. The term can also apply when changing the zoning to limit growth and density.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Amenities — Definition,
- Amenities are features such as green space, playgrounds, community centres, shopping malls, or swimming pools that make a neighbourhood or community more desirable for living.
- Cluster Development — Definition,
- A doctrine by which a local government specifies the population density of a planned development, and the developer has the option of making some areas of the development more densely populated than others.
- Condominium Conversion — Definition,
- When an existing building such as a rental project changes to the condominium form of ownership.
- Controlled Growth — Definition,
- A set of restrictions set by local government that governs the amount, type and density of new construction.
- Curb Appeal — Definition,
- The look of a house when viewed from the street.
- Zoning — Definition,
- Areas within a city limits in which certain types of land uses are allowed. For example, a zoning ordinance might permit houses but not factories in a neighbourhood.