- Desirable features of a neighbourhood, housing development or condominium, such as nearby parks, playgrounds, shuffleboard courts, swimming pools, community centres and bocce courts.
comforts, enhancements, niceties, advantages, conveniences, luxuries
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Blighted Area — Definition,
- An ugly, run-down neighbourhood.
- Common Areas — Definition,
- Areas of a building or land and the amenities owned (or managed) by a planned unit development, or condominium project's homeowners' association, or a cooperative project's cooperative corporation that are used by all of the unit owners who share in the common expenses of their operation and maintenance. Common areas include swimming pools, tennis courts, and other recreational facilities, as well as common hallways of buildings, parkades, means of ingress and egress, etc.
- Cul-De-Sac (Culd, Cldsc) — Abbreviation,
- A dead-end street, often with a broad circle at the end.
- Curb Appeal — Definition,
- The look of a house when viewed from the street.
- Infrastructure — Definition,
- Basic installations that a community needs, such as schools, roads, water and electrical lines, power plants and communications systems.
- Mixed-income Housing — Definition,
- A neighbourhood whose residents earn widely varying wages and salaries.
- Not in My Backyard (NIMBY) — Acronym,
- Opposition from residents for proposed buildings or structures in a neighbourhood.
- Replacement Reserve Fund — Definition,
- Money that is set aside by a homeowners association or condominium board to replace common property, such as playground equipment.
- Upzoning — Definition,
- The process, often controversial, of changing the zoning in an area, usually to allow greater density or commercial use. Sometimes the term is used to mean the opposite -- changing the zoning in a broad area to limit growth and density.
- Zoning — Definition,
- Areas within a city limits in which certain types of land uses are allowed. For example, a zoning ordinance might permit houses but not factories in a neighbourhood.