- Restrictions set by a local government to control the amount, type, and density of new construction within a certain area.
contained production, regulated development, governed expansion, throttled advancement
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Building Moratorium — Definition,
- A temporary or permanent halt on construction.
- Building Permit (BPmt) — Abbreviation,
- Authorization by a local government to construct or repair a structure.
- Bylaws — Definition,
- The written rules governing an organization such as a homeowners association.
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) — Acronym,
- A government-required evaluation of how construction will affect the environment surrounding a site.
- Key Lot — Definition,
- A lot of which ownership is essential in acquiring a piece of land for development, either because of its strategic location or the timing of the acquisition.
- Upzoning — Definition,
- The process, often controversial, of changing the zoning in an area, usually to allow greater density or commercial use. Sometimes the term is used to mean the opposite -- changing the zoning in a broad area to limit growth and density.