- A permit issued by a local government giving authorization to construct a building or repair an existing structure.
authorization, construction permit, permission
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Building Code (BC) — Acronym,
- Regulations that govern design and materials used in construction.
- Building Restrictions — Definition,
- Local regulations that limit the size, height, materials, colours, uses, locations, placement and other characteristics of houses.
- Certificate of Occupancy (CO) — Acronym, Important,
➥ Zoning bylaw.
- Authorization by a local government giving permission for someone to live in or use a building that has just been constructed or renovated.
- Construction Loan — Definition,
- A short-term interim loan for financing the cost of construction. The lender makes payments to the builder at periodic intervals as the work progresses.
- Controlled Growth — Definition,
- A set of restrictions set by local government that governs the amount, type and density of new construction.
- Field Changes — Definition,
- Modifications made to a building on-site.
- Heritage Conservation — Definition,
- Protecting historical and culturally important buildings, structures or environments like a park or garden.
- Historic Structure — Definition,
- Important structure significant to history
- Illegal View — Definition,
- The existence of any exterior openings in a building which creates an illegal view of adjoining lands.
- Key Lot — Definition,
- A lot of which ownership is essential in acquiring a piece of land for development, either because of its strategic location or the timing of the acquisition.
- Zoning — Definition,
- Areas within a city limits in which certain types of land uses are allowed. For example, a zoning ordinance might permit houses but not factories in a neighbourhood.