Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
Definition of Business
- Professional, industrial or commercial activities assumed by an entity or group.
- An entity that engages in professional, industrial or commercial activities. Businesses can be either non-profit or for-profit.
- Economic activities within a particular area or type.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) — Acronym,
- A world business organization that brings business people and experts together to formulate policies in such areas as banking, taxation and the environment.
- Operating Cash Flow (OCF) — Acronym,
- The money a company generates from its business operations. This revenue excludes costs from certain investments.
- Preferred Stock — Definition,
- A type of security that signifies part ownership in a corporation and is given preferential treatment over common stocks.
- Sole Proprietorship — Definition,
- A business owned by an individual where no legal distinction is made between the business and the owner.
- Inventory — Definition,
- Stock on hand in the form of goods ready for sale. Also includes raw material in the process of being manufactured or completed for sale.
- Corporation — Definition,
- A legal entity that is legally separate from its owners and employees.
- Operational Expenses (OpEx) — Abbreviation,
- Costs accruing from a business's business operations.
- Common Stock (CS) — Acronym,
- A security that allocates partial ownership in a corporation, but at a lower standing than preferred stocks.
- Publicly Traded Company — Definition,
- A company that is sold on a stock exchange.
- Business Insurance — Definition,
- An umbrella term for insurance that covers various losses that may arise due to the operation of a business.
- Privately Held Company — Definition,
- A company that is not listed on a stock exchange.
- Commercial Mortgage — Definition, Very Important,
- A mortgage for commercial property.
- Conditional Reserves — Definition,
- Reserves that are considered liabilities.
- Incorporated Business — Definition,
- A company that exists as a corporation.
- Accounting Period (AP) — Acronym, Important,
- The time period used in a set of accounting books or financial statements, often 12 months.
- Commerce — Definition,
- The systems and activities that impact business and trade within a nation and abroad.
- Ordinary Dividends — Definition,
- The distribution of a company's profits that are subject to full taxation.
- Business Bankruptcy — Definition,
- A bankruptcy case in which the debtor is a business or an individual involved in business and the debts are for business purposes.
- World Trade Organization (WTO) — Company Est. 1995,
➥ Deals with the global rules of trade between nations.
- An organization that promotes free trade between nations.