- A group of Lloyd's of London underwriters who buy and sell risks collectively. Also known as a "Lloyd's underwriting syndicate."
Lloyd's underwriting syndicate
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Insurance (insur) — Abbreviation,
- An arrangement where one party provides financial protection to another party for specific damages or losses.
- Lloyd's of London — Company,
- A market for insurance and reinsurance based in London, England where Lloyd's members, underwriters and financial backers can spread and share risk.
- Reinsurance — Definition,
- The process of one insurance company sharing liabilities from an insurance policy with another insurance company in order to lessen exposure, or in other words, insurance for insurers.
- Secondary Market — Definition,
- A market where financial instruments such as stocks, bonds, options and futures are bought and sold to investors.
- Underwriter — Definition,
- An entity that issues and distributes financial products including equity capital, credit, mortgages, and insurance.
- Underwriters Association — Definition,
- A group of underwriters in a specific field who join together to maintain professional standards.
- Underwriting (UW) — Acronym, Important,
- The analysis of risk involved in making a mortgage loan to determine whether the risk is acceptable to the lender. Underwriting involves evaluating the property as outlined in the appraisal report, and also evaluating the borrower's ability and willingness to repay the loan.
- Assessing individuals for eligibility and issuing and distributing a financial product such as insurance, equity capital or credit.