- A financial service provider who assesses clients for eligibility, in addition to issuing and distributing their products, which can include equity capital, credit, mortgages, or insurance.
insurer, promoter, qualifier, endorser, acceptor, verifier, sponsor
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF) — Company Est. 1969, Canada, Important,
➥ Non-profit organization that provides investor protection for investment dealer bankruptcy.
- A Canadian not-for-profit that protects investors from a CIPF members' bankruptcy.
- Captive Finance Company — Definition,
- A finance company related to a specific dealer or manufacturer.
- Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter — Definition,
- A designation for professionals working in the property and casualty insurance and/or risk management fields.
- Issuer — Definition,
- A legal entity that develops, registers, and sells securities including stocks, bonds and derivatives.
- Lloyd's of London — Company,
- A market for insurance and reinsurance based in London, England where Lloyd's members, underwriters and financial backers can spread and share risk.
- Lloyd's Syndicates — Definition,
- A group of Lloyd's of London underwriters.
- Mortgage Broker (MB) — Acronym, Important,
- One who finds clients perspective lenders at generally no cost. Mortgage Brokers have a special relationship with lenders and can offer their clients the best rates and service. CanEquity goes through great lengths to ensure you are serviced by the best Mortgage Brokers in Canada.
- Secondary Market — Definition,
- A market where financial instruments such as stocks, bonds, options and futures are bought and sold to investors.
- Underwriters Association — Definition,
- A group of underwriters in a specific field who join together to maintain professional standards.
- Underwriting (UW) — Acronym, Important,
- The analysis of risk involved in making a mortgage loan to determine whether the risk is acceptable to the lender. Underwriting involves evaluating the property as outlined in the appraisal report, and also evaluating the borrower's ability and willingness to repay the loan.
- Assessing individuals for eligibility and issuing and distributing a financial product such as insurance, equity capital or credit.
- Underwriting Guide — Definition,
- The rules and guidelines an underwriter must follow while writing policies.