- To support or agree to (a decision, for example). In real estate, underwriting refers to the analysis of the risk involved for a lender to grant a mortgage loan and whether or not the risk is acceptable. Underwriting involves a property evaluation as outlined in the appraisal report, and an evaluation of the borrower's ability and willingness to repay the loan.
- The process undertaken by a financial service provider that consists of assessing a client for eligibility for a financial product (such as insurance, equity capital, credit or mortgages) and potentially issuing or distributing a product.
endorsing, promoting, verifying, sponsoring, insuring, qualifying, accepting
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Captive Finance Company — Definition,
- A finance company related to a specific dealer or manufacturer.
- Credit Rating (CR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A metric to measure the credit worthiness of a debtor.
- A judgement of a person's ability to repay debts. The rating is often based on a person's current and projected income and past debt payment history. Also called a credit score.
- Credit Report (CR) — Acronym, Very Important,
➥ A report that outlines the credit worthiness of an individual or entity.
- A report on a loan applicant's willingness and ability to make payments in a timely manner in the past. This report is provided to the bank by an outside agency.
- Insurance Cycle — Definition,
- A cycle of soft and hard market conditions observed in the insurance and underwriting industry.
- Investment Banking (IBK) — Acronym,
- Bank operations that manage a bank's funding position, as well as its holdings of Treasury bills, bonds and preferred and common stock.
- Lloyd's of London — Company,
- A market for insurance and reinsurance based in London, England where Lloyd's members, underwriters and financial backers can spread and share risk.
- Lloyd's Syndicates — Definition,
- A group of Lloyd's of London underwriters.
- Mortgage Broker (MB) — Acronym, Important,
- One who finds clients perspective lenders at generally no cost. Mortgage Brokers have a special relationship with lenders and can offer their clients the best rates and service. CanEquity goes through great lengths to ensure you are serviced by the best Mortgage Brokers in Canada.
- Premium — Definition,
- A payment made to an insurance company for insurance coverage.
- Premium Balances — Definition,
- A ledger kept by insurance companies recording insurance premiums.
- Premiums Written — Definition,
- A sum of the premiums from all the policies that a company has written in a given period of time.
- Secondary Market — Definition,
- A market where financial instruments such as stocks, bonds, options and futures are bought and sold to investors.
- Underwriter — Definition,
- An entity that issues and distributes financial products including equity capital, credit, mortgages, and insurance.
- Underwriting Guide — Definition,
- The rules and guidelines an underwriter must follow while writing policies.
- Underwriting Risk — Definition,
- The total amount of risk an entity takes on from underwriting something.