Secure Socket Layer
- SSL is an application layer protocol created by Netscape for managing the security of message transmissions in a network. SSL uses the public-and-private key encryption system from RSA, which also includes the use of a digital certificate.
Seen as 'https' in a web address (URL).
Encrypted, protected, safe
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Browser — Definition,
- A computer software program used for accessing and viewing Internet Web sites.
- Encryption — Definition,
- A method for ensuring the privacy and security of a consumer's personal finance information at a bank or financial institution Web site. Encryption is the process of scrambling data so that only the intended receiver can use it. To be effective, encryption needs to be used by both the sender and the receiver. Consumers should make sure it is being used when sending sensitive information. CanEquity uses a encrypted server for all of our online applications.
- Facebook — Definition,
- The world's most used social network launched in 2004.
- FAQ — Definition,
- An acronym for "frequently asked questions."
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) — Company Est. 1946, Geneva, Switzerland,
- An international organization created to promote standardization around the world.
- Key — Definition,
- A password needed to decipher encrypted data.
- LinkedIn — Definition,
- A social network for professionals.
- Mortgage Application — Definition, Very Important,
- A document in which a prospective borrower details his or her financial situation to qualify for a loan.
- Online Banking (OLB) — Acronym, Important,
- Access by personal computer or terminal to bank information, accounts and certain transactions via the financial institution's web site on the Internet. Also known as Internet banking.
- Online Bill Payment — Definition,
- A service offered by online banks, usually for a small monthly fee, that relieves consumers from having to write cheques and lick stamps to pay their monthly bills. Online bill payment systems allow people to enter the names of their creditors and the numbers of their utility accounts and pay virtually all routine bills.
- Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) — Acronym,
- Secure Socket Layer Virtual Private Network (SSLVPN) — Acronym,
- Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) — Company,
- Global data processing system used by banks.
- Transport Layer Security/Secure Socket Layer (TLS/SSL) — Acronym,
- Twitter — Definition,
- A social network that limits messages to a length of 140 characters.