- Newly founded companies working to research and develop a product or service in a budding market. Many startup companies, or startups as they are commonly referred, can be found in the technology industry, centered in the Silicon Valley area of California. Startups are oftentimes reliant on venture capital to keep afloat after their they've run through their seed capital.
start-up company, startup
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Angel Investors — Definition,
- Private individuals with capital to invest in business enterprises.
- Equity — Definition,
- Ownership in an asset.
- The value of a property minus outstanding mortgage debt and other liens.
- Initial Public Offering (IPO) — Acronym,
- When shares of a corporation become available to the public for the first time.
- Private Equity — Definition,
- Equity not traded on a stock exchange.
- Security — Definition,
- A tradable financial implement that represents ownership, the rights to ownership or debt.
- Property designated as collateral.
- A document stating ownership of a stock or bond.
- Seed Funding — Definition,
- Money used to start a business.
- Stock — Definition,
- A share of the ownership of a company.
- Valuation — Definition,
- The process of finding the worth of an asset or business.
- The estimation of a property's price value through an appraisal.
- Venture Capital (VC) — Acronym,
- Financial capital given to startup companies.