- An individual or company that does specialty work for a general contractor such as an electrician or plumber.
- Subcontractors are employed by companies in order to help them fulfill their contractual services. Anyone who enters into a contract with the primary contractor may be considered a subcontractor.
builder, carpenter, tradesman, skilled labourer, handy-man, programmer
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Borrow Pit — Definition,
- A hole from which topsoil, gravel, or other material is removed for use in a construction project.
- Contractor — Definition,
- Someone that agrees to furnish materials or perform services at a specified price.
- One who constructs or oversees construction of a house or a large renovation.
- Cost-plus Contract — Definition,
- An agreement in which a construction contractor receives a fee based on a percentage of all costs paid for labour and materials.
- Custom Builder — Definition,
- A contractor that constructs or remodels houses based on plans submitted by the client.
- Developer — Definition,
- To develop or create something.
- Companies that buy land and put up buildings for rent or sale.
- Draw Mortgage (DM) — Acronym,
➥ See Progress Advance Mortgage (PAM).
- A periodic payment made to a construction contractor or subcontractor as work progresses. A draw is part of a construction mortgage.
- Drywall — Definition,
- Panels of gypsum plaster wrapped in thin cardboard and attached to the house framing to create interior walls.
- General Contractor — Definition,
- The person or company that performs work on a construction project, hires subcontractors and suppliers, or both.
- Self-Build Insurance — Definition,
- Insurance that covers a homeowner for problems involved in a construction project.
- Speculation Builder — Definition,
- A developer that builds houses without a commitment from a purchaser.