- An individual who signs his or her name to a document for the purpose of attesting to its authenticity. For example, a witness is usually required to sign a deed, will or other legal document.
observer, onlooker, viewer
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Co-signer — Definition,
- A person who signs a promissory note that is also signed by one or more other parties. All parties take responsibility for the debt if any of the others renege.
- Consent Judgement — Definition,
- A judge's legally binding approval of a written agreement by the parties of a lawsuit.
- Power of Attorney (PA, POA) — Acronym,
- A document in which the signer authorizes someone to conduct business in his or her name -- signing title documents and cheques, for example.
- X — Definition,
- A symbol used in contracts, or other legal documents, representing where a signature should appear.