- Regulated federally by Parks Canada, it pertains to buildings or structures within a historic district or park that carry significance to the area's historical value. They are classified by either contributing (historic) or non-contributing (non-historic) properties. For example a modern day home would be non-contributing, while an 18th century mansion would be a contributing property. Contributing property status is determined through an evaluation by a Certification Service Provider and is documented in a Confirmation of Contributing Property
historic property, noteworthy, historical significance
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Architectural Significance — Definition,
- How important a structure is.
- Heritage Conservation — Definition,
- Protecting historical and culturally important buildings, structures or environments like a park or garden.
- Historic Preservation (HP) — Acronym,
- A movement to protect buildings with historic value from destruction or extensive renovation.
- Historic Structure — Definition,
- Important structure significant to history