Is a company: no
Is a proper noun: no
- stock portfolio
- investment portfolio
Definition of Portfolio
- A collection of investments.
Related Terms and Acronyms
- Capital Gains Tax (CGT) — Acronym, Canada,
- A tax on profits from the sale of real estate or investments.
- Derivatives — Definition,
- Financial contracts whose value is derived from the value of some underlying asset, rate or index. Derivatives are used as risk-management tools by governments and corporations to reduce exposure to risk, mainly related to fluctuations in foreign-exchange and interest rates. Derivative instruments include swaps, options, futures and forward contracts and are used by banks in two principal activities: sales/trading and asset/liability management.
- Open-end Fund — Definition,
- A mutual fund that allows investors to buy or sell shares in the fund at their net asset value each business day.
- Fixed-Return Investments — Definition,
- Investments that provide a stable return.
- Laddering — Definition,
- Staggering deposits into investments such as CDs in order to vary and better the rate of return.
- Bond — Definition,
- A certificate of debt issued by a government or corporation guaranteeing payment of the original investment plus interest by a specified future date.
- Security — Definition,
- A document stating ownership of a stock or bond.
- Property designated as collateral.
- A tradable financial implement that represents ownership, the rights to ownership or debt.
- Stock — Definition,
- A share of the ownership of a company.
- Mutual Fund — Definition,
- A type of investment scheme that pools funds from multiple backers and invests them in securities such as stock or bonds.
- Segregated Fund — Definition,
- Investment vehicles that feature both maturity and death guarantees. Segregated funds share similarities with mutual funds but are categorized as insurance products.
- Closed-end Fund — Definition,
- A mutual fund with shares initially sold to investors through an IPO; afterwards, the fund is listed on a stock exchange to be bought and sold.
- Investment — Definition,
- Something you put your money into in order to make money.