Terms Starting with S
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL) — Acronym,
➥ Seen as 'https' in a web address (URL).
- A standard form of encryption used over the Internet for e-commerce and banking transactions.
- Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) — Acronym,
- Secure Socket Layer Virtual Private Network (SSLVPN) — Acronym,
- Secured Credit Card — Definition,
- A credit card that a cardholder secures with a savings deposit to ensure payment of the outstanding balance if the cardholder defaults on payments. It is used by people new to credit, or people trying to rebuild their poor credit ratings.
- Secured Debt — Definition,
- A debt that is secured by a lien on debtor's property that may be taken by the creditor in case of non-payment by the debtor. A common example is a mortgage loan.
- Secured Line of Credit (SLC) — Acronym,
- Secured Loan — Definition,
- Borrowed money that is backed by collateral.
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) — Company,
- Securities and Futures Authority (SFA) — Company, ➥ A UK term. See Financial Services Authority (FSA).
- Securities/Investment Dealer — Definition,
- One who acts as the agent for another party to buy and sell securities and other investments; also an underwriter.
- Security — Definition,
- A document stating ownership of a stock or bond.
- A tradable financial implement that represents ownership, the rights to ownership or debt.
- Property designated as collateral.
- Security Bars (bars) — Abbreviation, ➥ Security bars installed on windows to prevent break-ins.
- Security Deposit (sec, sec dep) — Abbreviation,
- In automobile leases, sometimes called reconditioning reserve. An amount, often the same as one month's payment, the dealer holds to be sure that the car will be returned in good condition. It is to be returned, less fees and damage charges, at the end of the lease.
- Security System (sec, secsys, sec sys) — Abbreviation,
- Seed Funding — Definition,
- Money used to start a business.
- Segregated Fund — Definition,
- Investment vehicles that feature both maturity and death guarantees. Segregated funds share similarities with mutual funds but are categorized as insurance products.
- Segregated Portfolio Company (SPC) — Acronym,
- Selection Bias — Definition,
- A statistical error made when non-random data is added into a dataset.
- Selective Capital Increase (SCI) — Acronym,
- Selective Employment Tax (SET) — Acronym,
- Self Employed (S/E) — Acronym,
- Self Employed Health Insurance (SEHI) — Acronym,
- Self Employed Insurance Group (SEIG) — Company, United States,
- Self Employed Person (SEP) — Acronym,
- A person who runs a trade or business, rather than working as an employee for someone else. You are self-employed if you are a sole proprietor or a partner working in a business. You can be an employee and self-employed at the same time if you have an independent business outside your regular employee hours. To qualify for many business tax exclusions and deductions, the enterprise must make a profit in three of five years. In most cases in order to qualify you must take and average of the last 2-3 years tax assessments.
- Self Insurance — Definition,
- Setting aside money or assets for a potential future loss.
- Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ) — Acronym,
- Self-Build Insurance — Definition,
- Insurance that covers a homeowner for problems involved in a construction project.
- Self-directed Retirement Savings Plan (SDRSP) — Acronym, Important,
- Self-Employed Homeowner Mortgage (SEHM) — Acronym,
- Self-employed Stated Income (SSI) — Acronym,
Secure Socket Layer -
Segregated Portfolio Company
Segregated Portfolio Company